Your domain registration is pending. Check back in an hour
Posted on Jan 10, 2021

Lacie Bowden Law

Divorce Attorney in Pensacola

Do you need a QDRO for your divorce?

The first thing that you should know about obtaining a QDRO is that working with a lawyer is strongly recommended; you should not fill out QDRO forms yourself as there is significant room for error, which could impede your right to benefits. There are also different types of retirement and pension plans, and the specific information that each requires may vary.

For example, if you are seeking a Qualified Domestic Relations Orders in relation to benefits via the Florida Retirement System (FRS) Pension Plan, you will need to contact the division and request the appropriate QDRO forms. At the time your request is made, you must provide the member’s (your ex-spouse) name and Social Security number, the date of your divorce, and the date of your marriage. Next, forms must be completed in full and sent back to the division along with a copy of the final judgment of dissolution of marriage and your settlement agreement.

The division will review the forms. If approved, you will receive notice that the QDRO is conditionally approved. The next step is filing the QDRO with the court.

Note that when you file your QDRO, specific information must be included. At a minimum, the order should state that it applies to the plan participant and you (the alternate payee), include the name and address of both parties, specify the benefit that is to be paid to you, specify the manner o...
Contact Us
Message sent. We'll get back to you soon.